The Ground Breaking Ceremony Of Xianda’s Integrated Seawater Desalination And Salt Making Project In Tianjin Nangang Industrial Zone
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh and Good Morning.
Her Excellency Sun Chunlan;
Party Secretary of Tianjin Municipality,
Representatives of the Governments,
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. I am pleased to officiate the ground breaking ceremony of one of Malaysia’s most exciting investments in China. This project – driven by Malaysians, supported by Malaysian investors, and using Malaysian technology – shows the contribution we can make to China’s incredible growth story.
2. The XianDa Group has made a big commitment to China and in particular Tianjin. For this project, the Group is planning to invest 15 billion renminbi or 8 billion ringgit. The plant will produce 1 million tons of clarified water and 600,000 tons of desalinated water per day.
3. The foresight and ambition of the Tianjin City Government made this investment possible. Their drive towards sustainable and environmentally friendly industrial development has allowed Malaysia to show what we can offer to China: the world’s first integrated zero-liquid discharge desalination plant.
4. With this project, XianDa has not only been able been able to help preserve the ecosystem of the Bohai Bay, but also produce enough salt to transform 200 square kilometres of salt plains into more productive land.
5. I would like to commend the Central Government, which has awarded Tianjin ‘Pioneer Status’ in the ‘Development of the Marine Economy’, and selected XianDa as one of the top three projects that demonstrates how seawater resources can harnessed to benefit the local economy. I am sure this partnership between the Tianjin Government and XianDa will be a model that we all can replicate.