IM4U UKEC Outreach Centre UK Launch
In the name of God the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful,
Assalamualaikum, and a very good evening to the future leaders of my beloved country.
1. I am very honoured to be standing here this evening to launch another milestone in the history of iM4U.
Malaysian Youth of United Kingdom,
2. When iM4U was created, I dreamt that the organisation would be big. I dreamt that iM4U would go global. I dreamt that one day the youth of this country and others will join hands in the name of service above self to help not just one another, but also the community at large; that one day, flamed by youthful idealism, the people of this country and those overseas would stand united in working towards an ideal bigger than themselves, to embody in them the spirit of volunteerism!
3. Today, irrespective of your creed, religion or the colour of your skin, we come together to celebrate the spirit of volunteerism, to heed the calling of selfless service at this joyous occasion for the launch of the iM4U Outreach Centre in the United Kingdom.
4. It makes me proud to see Malaysian students overseas interested in setting up an Outreach Centre in the spirit of volunteerism. This fits perfectly well in the Year of Volunteerism 2013. To date, we already have 100 Outreach Centres activated in Malaysia, and it makes me very proud to officially launch the first international centre in the United Kingdom. iM4U is ecstatic to extend its reach to another 15,000 Malaysian students in the UK, on top of the 100,000 members currently.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
5. iM4U’s collaboration with UKEC will increase positive interaction between Malaysian students in the UK and those studying locally through participation in volunteer projects. From my knowledge, UKEC has been organising summer holiday programmes in Malaysia for its members through its UKECares unit and I hope to build synergy between the two organisations to push the spirit of volunteerism further.
6. To help kick start the collaboration between UKEC and iM4U, I am delighted to present UKEC with a grant of GBP10,000 from iM4U’s DRe1M Fund that will be used for the first 10 outreach initiatives. Students studying in the UK may apply for the fund via the Malaysian Students Society in their respective universities or directly through the UKEC.
7. I am so proud of our students in the UK, for facilitating the first international Outreach Centre. According to the management of iM4U, the setup of this international centre is a result of numerous requests from the youth and the UKEC. This shows that our youth studying abroad are on the right path in promoting the spirit of volunteerism and community development. The iM4U expansion will not end in the UK, in fact plans are underway to open more Outreach Centres internationally in countries like Egypt, Indonesia, Australia and USA.
Leaders of tomorrow,
8. The sky is the limit for iM4U. I believe the management of iM4U back in Malaysia have plans to push the spirit of volunteerism even further with the most engaging and dynamic activities. I am looking forward to what they have in plan for the month of Ramadhan. It is an ideal month to give back to the less fortunate.
9. Striding on the technology front, I am pleased to announce that the iM4U Mobile app will be launched on 21st July 2013. It is currently undergoing testing and the app will be available on both iTunes and Google Play. The app is the first step in building the volunteer eco-system on a community based platform where volunteers can customise their initiatives, and network with other likeminded individuals. By downloading the app, iM4U will also reward volunteers based on the number of volunteer activities that they participate in. Rewards can range from concert tickets to new smart phones. Mark the date on your calendar and download the app as soon as it is out! With the app, I hope the community of volunteerism will grow even further.
Youth of tomorrow,
10. Lest we forget the fact that the youth is the hope that fuels the nation, I have utmost faith that my dream in taking iM4U global will come true. In the words of former South African President Nelson Mandela, “a good head…and a good heart are always a formidable combination”
11. I believe that the youth of this country are not only smart but more so in possession of a fiery spirit to serve their fellow countrymen above and beyond the call of duty!
12. Thus I call for everyone here and out there to join me in working for a better future not just for ourselves but for the future generations!