Relaunch of Bangsamoro Peace Deal
- I am very pleased that members of the Government of the Philippines’ new implementing panel and representatives of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front are meeting in Kuala Lumpur on 13th and 14th August to formally relaunch the Implementing Phase of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro.
- The peaceful resolution of a decades-long conflict that has cost the lives of tens of thousands is a historical achievement, and Malaysia has been proud to facilitate the negotiations that have contributed to delivering greater safety and stability in Mindanao, the Philippines and the region.
- Malaysia will remain committed to the process for as long as is desired. We respect the sovereignty of other countries and consider foreign interference in the domestic affairs of others to be wrong. However, when requested by the Government of a friend and neighbour, we are happy to provide all possible assistance.
- The determination shown by President Rodrigo Duterte and his vision in setting up the new peace roadmap remains crucial. While certainly there are challenges ahead, I am confident that under President Duterte’s leadership, and with Malaysia steadfast in its role as an honest broker, a new era of development and prosperity in the southern Philippines can be achieved.
- Peace and harmony will benefit not only Mindanao and the Bangsamoro people, but also the Philippines and the region. We urge all parties to continue to pursue these goals.