18 May, 2010
Western Digital Corporation
1. Prime Minister Dato’Sri Mohd Najib Tun Abdul Razak today met President & CEO of Western Digital Corporation Datuk John F. Coyne at his office in Putrajaya. During the meeting, Datuk John F. Coyne informed the Prime Minister of the company’s decision to further expand its R&D and manufacturing activities in Malaysia.
2. It will involve investment worth US$1.2 billion spread over the next five years. The decision by Western Digital to have the project here was made following discussions with the Prime Minister during his working visit to Washington last month.
3. Western Digital choose Malaysia for this latest expansion due to the success of its operations here for the last thirty eight years, the existence of a strong management and technical team, the availability of highly skilled technical resources, its strategic location, stable and competitive environment and the strong and consistent support of the government and its agencies over the years.
4. The company, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, has had a presence in Malaysia since 1972, with a cumulative investment to date of US$2.5 billion and current employment in excess of 19,000 here.
5. WD is a global leader in the development and manufacture of hard drives and solid state drives for internal, external, portable and shared storage applications. WD hard drives are used in desktop and notebook computers, mobile devices, corporate networks and home entertainment equipment. WD solid-state drives are used in embedded applications such as network communications, industrial, medical, military and aerospace markets.
6. The new investment will involve the construction of a new 1.5 million square foot, multi-storey building for research and development and manufacture of magnetic head and media components and hard disk drives. Construction is planned to be completed by the third quarter of 2011 and the facility will be ramped to full capacity over the following five years. There will be up to 10,000 additional jobs which involves a substantial number of high qualification jobs, 100 PhD holders, 1,000 first degree holders, 3,000 diploma and certificate holders, created at the facility over time. This is in line with the New Economic Model goals to create high wage jobs.