Greater Action Against Terrorism
- The latest terrorist outrages around the world demonstrate that the threat is real and growing. Hardly a day goes by without another atrocity. We are far from immune in Malaysia, as the first Daesh attack on us last month showed.
- This is why, following requests from the security forces, the Government introduced the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act, the Special Measures against Terrorism in Foreign Countries Act, the Prevention of Terrorism Act, and the National Security Council Act.
- We were criticised for passing these laws, including by some who fear mongered for political reasons. The National Security Council Act in particular has been deliberately misinterpreted. It is not the same as a declaration of national emergency – that power remains with His Majesty the Yang di-Pertuan Agong – and Parliament remains sitting with oversight on any security area declared.
- My government will never apologise for placing the safety and security of the Malaysian people first. These laws were necessary, and other countries have since followed our lead.
- I can assure Malaysians that the Government will continue to put all possible measures in place to protect you.
- Daesh and its cruel, perverted ideology have no place in Islam, nor in our peaceful, diverse and tolerant country.
- Now is the time for us to unite and play an even greater part alongside the world community in the fight against terrorism.