PRIME MINISTER NAJIB RAZAK SAYS CHINA VISIT WILL ELEVATE RELATIONSHIP
26th October 2016
1. Later this week, I will be visiting the People’s Republic of China, with whom Malaysia has enjoyed a strong bond in the past, and with whom we are committed to further strengthening ties and friendship in the future.
2. While relations between our peoples date back centuries, official ties between our nations began in 1974, when my father, Prime Minister Tun Abdul Razak, became the first leader in the region to establish formal diplomatic relations with China.
3. Today, we have a relationship based on mutual trust and respect – one that comprises ever growing social, cultural, political, economic and military ties.
4. Looking ahead, we are committed to achieving new highs and entering into new areas of cooperation. This will allow our countries and our peoples to thrive and prosper together. To that end, I look forward to my discussions with Excellencies President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang. We will be signing many new agreements and understandings that will elevate the relationship between our two nations to even greater heights.
5. The Asian Century has begun, and few countries represent the potential of our region better than China and Malaysia. Together, working in partnership, I am confident that – if we grasp the huge opportunities before us – we will transform the lives of our peoples and reshape the region and the world for the better.
DATO’ SRI NAJIB TUN RAZAK
PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA